Saturday, October 31, 2009

Spaying a hamster

"Vet 1 is a hamster expert," my associate vet, Dr Jason Teo introduced his friend to his left as we were having dinner on the 2nd day of the Singapore Veterinary Association Conference on Saturday, Oct 31, 2009. After that, there would be 3 more veterinary talks that would end at 11 pm.

"Have you ever spayed a hamster?" I hoped to acquire some knowledge during my networking at this Conference.

Another vet with over 20 years of practice and looking for locums asked, "You mean taking out the testicles?"

"No," I said. "I mean, sterilisation of a female hamster."

"Yes," Vet 1 said. "One owner insisted on her female hamster to be spayed instead of the male. So, I did it."

"How did you do it?" I asked. I can safely say that 99% of the vets all over the world do not spay a dwarf hamster. I mean, it was not an easy operation to do. High risk.

Well, this vet was successful. The hamster ate 5 minutes after the spay and went home. He used some "plastic" catheter, inserted it via the vestibule into the "uterine body" I presume, elevated the uterus...picked them up under magnifying glass and remove them. The problem is the stitching up of the very thin and sticky abdominal muscles according to him. More details at vin.com, he said.

Incredible story but true.

No comments: